Checking in from Ubud, Bali! I thought I would start doing these more personal roundup posts once in a while, as so many of my favorite travel bloggers are doing. Right now I’ve just checked into a hostel, after staying a week in a private hotel room. It has been great with some privacy, but I’m looking forward to the hostel environment and meeting some new people.
I will miss this view from my balcony though.
- Surfing! My previous attempt has, well, lacked success. But this time I actually surfed, for several hours, several days. On a real board. And now I’m officially hooked. Wake up at 4.30 to go surfing before breakfast? I’m not even hitting snooze.
- A trip to a bunch of waterfalls. I joined a few people from the camp to go on a road trip (with a driver) up to the north side of Bali. We visited the Gitgit waterfalls and The Secret Garden (which was so secret I was surprised when we actually found it). The later featured a waterfall slide that made me swear I would come back to haunt my fellow travelers if I didn’t survive. But I did, and had to admit it was fun.
- The food. Especially here in Ubud, it’s heaven for someone like me. I mainly eat vegetarian when I’m traveling, and have only had one bad meal so far. Almost everything is just delicious.
- My new Kindle. I can’t understand what took me so long to get one, but now that I have, it will never leave my side.
- Being sick while traveling. It may look all sunsets and beach bums, but the fact is that I’ve yet to meet a person who has not experienced some version of “Bali belly”. Add a cold to that, and the past week has not been pure excitement.
- I miss breathing fresh air. Thanks to the heavy traffic and all scooters, the air here is not quite what I’m spoiled with.
- Not realizing I needed to pay for Visa on arrival to be able to extend it after 30 days. So now I’ve booked a trip to Singapore over the day next week.
All in all, I have definitely had some good first few weeks. I started working this Monday and so far it’s running pretty smoothly. Will be posting more on that in the coming weeks!